
Everyone needs to realize that nothing on the internet is private. There is almost always a way around the privacy settings, and people hardly ever use them. People should realize that the privacy settings are there to protect them, not to get in the way. You see people all the time adding people on Facebook & Myspace that they do not even know, then posting personal information like where they are at that very moment. What if one of the people you don't know reads that and goes to the same place and tries to harm or harass you? You should never post where you are at the exact second unless you are completely sure that your personal information is secure and you know everyone on your friends list. Another thing people should never do is post their home address or work address online, it would just be too easy for an internet predator to use that information against you and your family. You also see a lot of people posting their phone numbers online saying "text me!". I'm sure that everyone who would want to text that person already has their number and they don't need to be putting it online for everyone to read.
I believe that everyone should use the grandmother rule. Which is basically do not post anything online that you wouldn't want your grandmother to see or read. Teens especially need to realize that colleges & employers are looking at social profiles now. So the rude comments, pictures of them drunk, and the sexy photos that teens think are harmless could cost them a future job or college oppotunity.
Long story short: people need to learn to protect their information online.
You can find more information on teens, social networking, and privacy here:
http://pewresearch.org/pubs/454/teens-privacy--online-social-networks
Really good post Val! Teens do need to watch those "risky" picture that are posted. Someone could get in trouble! Thanks for the link to!
ReplyDeleteThis is True Val, I've seen pictures on websites, that people definitely should NOT post!!
ReplyDeleteThis is an excellent post, Valerie! You have information, links, and graphics. You just need to proofread for misspellings, run-ons, fragments, etc. I think you are thinking faster than you fingers can type. :-D
ReplyDeleteVery good. Nice length and all of your points are supported. And I would have to agree with Sumisu Sensei about your typing.
ReplyDeleteI do have a problem with run-ons. xD It's pretty horrible sometimes. I'll go back and fix some of them.
ReplyDeleteThis is very true. My friends from Madonna always adds people that they dont know or accept them. And I always tell them that they are stupid. I think it's very weird to accept a friend request from people that live in the United Kingdom! Like my sure they know these people!
ReplyDelete